Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rascal Flatts Ends the “Wait”



A lot of mystery surrounded the upcoming album by Rascal Flatts. The band’s record label closed up shop and left the guys as free agents, and that forced them to wait while negotiations went on to find a new home.
That new label has since been determined, of course. It’s Big Machine, which already represents Taylor Swift. But one thing that was never a mystery during the whole process was “Why Wait.” The band discovered the song while weeding through compilations of demos submitted by songwriters, and its bright melody and chugging tempo stood out.
“It instantly caught my attention as we were listening down through literally hundreds of songs on our comp CDs,” bass player Jay DeMarcus says. “I kept going back to that one because it’s such a unique melody and such a unique feel for us. And I think that when I heard the chorus kick in, it kept getting my attention every time I listened [to it]. I remember I actually had a phone conversation with Gary [LeVox], and I said, ‘Man, the second song on this comp, “Why Wait,” is really, really different for us and really catchy, and I think could really showcase our harmonies really well.’”
In fact, when Rascal Flatts started recording the album in Santa Barbara, “Why Wait” was the first song they worked on, and it set the tone for the whole project.
“When we went into the studio and we started cutting it,” Jay notes, “we knew instantly that it was something special for us and it was going to be a showcase piece on the album.”
Rascal Flatts’ new label apparently agrees. It released “Why Wait” as the first single. The public must like it, too, since it’s already in the Top 20 on the BillboardCountry Songs chart after a mere three weeks.
Despite the song’s title, a wait is definitely required for the album. Nothing Like This releases Nov. 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment