Friday, March 5, 2010

Get Off On The Pain - Gary Allan (Album Review)


Get Off On The Pain, the newest album by country artist Gary Allan, consists of 10 tracks as well as an additional bonus track and three live tracks on the deluxe version. Listening to the album, it has a definite bittersweet feeling to it. According to Allan's official website, the album is a summary of his life for the past 15 years. He describes how he 'just won't stop dancing in the flames' and admits that 'maybe I just get off on the pain' in the title track of the album. 

This album is a definite improvement of his 2007 effort, Living Hard, which except for certain outstanding tracks like Watching Airplanes and Learning How to Bend, never really stood out among the other musicians in the country world. (Like It's A Bad Thing, a song from Living Hard, was recently covered by American Idolist Danny Gokey on his new album, and renamed as Like That's A Bad Thing)

In this album, my favourites are I Think I've Had Enough and Kiss Me When I'm Down. Both tracks are filled with raw emotion, and coupled with Allan's rough and gritty vocals, evoke many emotions in the hearts of listeners. Besides these, other standouts are Get Off On The Pain and No Regrets, the first and last songs on the album. The latter describes his feelings for his wife, who has been dead for three years. He tells of his love for her and how he has no regrets about the relationship, even after her tragic suicide. Allan still misses her every day, but he feels glad that she was there, at least for a while. This is a song that will definitely brings tears to the eyes of many, especially as he ends the song with "I loved her with no regrets".

Get Off On The Pain will be released on the 9th of March and you can pre-order it here. Don't ask me where I got mine, but it's definitely worth it, and I'm glad I managed to lay my hands on this copy. It's on my playlist daily now, even multiple times daily. Yes, it's that good. Go get it. There will be no regrets.

2 comments: